Monday, September 26, 2005

Door Knocking

Going door to door is best, of course, on a warm Sunday in the fall, when everyone is kicked back, watching football and maybe still grilling dinner on the porch. Today I talked with two mothers of four-year-olds looking forward to sending their kids to public kindergarten next year. I also spoke to three high school parents and one high schooler himself. The parents were cautiously optimistic about progress at the high school, but the high schooler, a sophomore, was totally enthusiastic. “There is so much available; so much to do,” he said. Not that everything is perfect. Some of his homework looks taken verbatim from the Internet (Is this a good thing?) and the line for pizza at the cafeteria is way too long.

People often ask me what kind of reception I get when I go door-to-door. They would be amazed to know how friendly people are, how many people invite me into their kitchens and living rooms to talk about schools and politics.

No comments: